[RASMB] Weak association?

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Tue Feb 3 08:30:59 PST 2009

Hi Andrew,

I guess it depends on your protein whether you want to do SE or SV.  Many
proteins I've come across showed poorly reversible or irreversible
aggregates at these high concentrations.  With SV they will
hydrodynamically resolve because they will sediment clearly ahead (as
opposed to the reversible dimers that you want to characterize, as Arthurs
pointed out).  Likewise, you can see slower fragments from degradation
easily in SV.  By low-speed SE, these things are much more difficult to
detect, and if they occur they would end up biasing the gradients quite a
bit.  (Also, it takes more time during which things may aggregate.)  For
such proteins, based on my experience I would prefer SV.

For sure, compression of the solvent, protein shape, or hydration will
affect the measured s-value, and perhaps partial volume changes in the
complexation may in theory affect the equilibrium constant, but these
factors would not change as a function of protein concentration.

If you go with SV, and can make reasonable assumptions about the magnitude
of the hydrodynamic nonideality, you can estimate the Kd for
dimerization.  However, I would not attempt, at least at first, a direct
boundary model with Lamm equation solutions, because any traces of
impurities, aggregates or other degradation products will affect the
boundary shape and bias the result.  (You can truncate the data to exclude
what doesn't fit, but that may potentially give you quite arbitrary
results.) Rather, I would determine the weight-average s-value (from
integrating the s-distribution) as a function of concentration, and analyze
this sw isotherm with monomer-dimer model including non-ideality.  That is
much simpler and captures all the essential information from the
data.  Such a model is readily available for sw-isotherm analysis in SEDPHAT.

Peter