[RASMB] Weak association?

Thomas Jowitt thomas.a.jowitt at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 08:09:20 PST 2009

Hi

This is a good discussion and I would like to add some points. I have been down this road a few times, which was why my first answer was fairly abrupt. There needs to be quite a bit of caution when looking for oligomerisation in the high mM ranges using sedimentation velocity. There have been several good reports on it by yourself Arthur, Peter, and Christene Ebel. For a change as low as this, you are you basing the lack of change in s vs concentration on several effects. This could in reality be contributed to by hydration, compression of the solvent as well as the shape of the protein (is hydration effecting conformation slightly?). This is not to say that there isn't a difference but a 5% difference could easily be reduced to 2% or less, meaning a much lower association.

Certainly equilibrium measurements are much more sensitive for the analysis of fast interactions, and that isn't just sedimentation equilibrium, but equilibrium relaxation NMR and also, as I am currently doing, vibrational frequency dissipation measurements, again at equilibrium, would tell you if your interactions are indeed real or not and certainly would be a more rigorous test.

All the best

Tom J