[RASMB] Weak association?

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 08:00:59 PST 2009

Hi Andrew

For a system free of self-interaction, there should indeed be a
negative slope to the regression of s upon c. The theoretical ks value
can be computed (see my chapter in the 'Black Book') from

ks = 2*vbar*(Vs/vbar + (f/f0)^3)

which means that for a 'typical globular protein' the ks value will be
around 5 (the above formula give the dynamic ks value - if you add on a
vbar value then you get the kinetic ks value: the distinction was made
theoretically by Burgers in ~1940, and in very elegant practical work
on PSL spheres by Cheng & Schachman in 1953).

So - in hand-waving terms, there should be a reduction in s value of
around 5% as c goes up to 10 mg/ml. It is simple enough to fit the
regression of the weight-averaged s value on c, by incorporating the
law of mass action (see our paper on weak interaction in carbohydrates
cited by Peter). But in agreement with Tom I would think that there is
a little less danger of interference from pressure etc effects if you
go for low-speed equilibrium. You must of course deconvolute the Ka
term away from classical 'thermodynamic' i.e. virial coefficient terms.
Which is do-able. The principles involved have been well described by
Allen Minton and his colleagues (1) but their practical method as
described is heroic. The INVEQ fit does it in seconds, from just a
single run (10 mg/ml is fine), and has been applied to a range of
systems (see RASMB archives for refs). The fitting equation is simple
enough - I really owe folks an apology for not having put the software
up on the RASMB site as yet. I have the original version (in pro Fit
for Mac) and a Grafit version for Windows. However - it is a trivial
matter to enter the formula into Sigmaplot, ORIGIN, whatever you have
in use. Although you will not get under Windows the beautiful range of
fitting algorithms and error analyses that the mathematical physicists
have put into pro Fit - at least without going into MatLab.

Finally - a quick offer, if you have an LSE profile, if its
interference and 'baseline subtracted' and you have a sigma value for
the monomer, just mail it to me. Doing the analysis will probably take
me less time than mailing the results back! It's that easy.

Kind regards to you, Tom, and to all

Arthur

(1) Zorilla et al (2004) Biophysical Chemistry 108 89-100.  {we have
also looked at RNAse and via INVEQ get an identical value for BM to
that given in this paper}

On Feb 2, 2009, at 14:22, Leech, AP wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have done some SV runs at various concentrations 0.3-10 mg/ml on
> a protein (~14 ka) and the sedimentation coefficient appears to
> remain constant (about 1.58). I had expected it to drop slightly at
> higher concentrations, and so I suspect a weak self association.
> Buffer is NaCl/Tris.
>
> Is it reasonable to try and estimate an association coefficient
> from this sort of data, and what is the best way to do it? (Even
> a lower limit would be acceptable, as the intent is to show that
> dimerisation is not significant).
>
> I'm working my way through Gilbert & Gilbert at the moment (Meth.
> Enzymol vol 27, p273) but is there perhaps something more in the
> "global analysis" line?
>
> All comments appreciated,
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Manager
> Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
> Department of Biology (Area 15)   *  Tel   : +44 (0)1904 328723
> University of York                *  Fax   : +44 (0)1904 328804
> PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD