[RASMB] analysis of biotech samples [was: non-ideality in SV]

Carlos Alfonso Botello uanalitica at cib.csic.es
Wed Apr 9 08:06:35 PDT 2008

Te marco en negrita una defensa de la técnica de
Allen por parte de John Philo que trabaja para la
industria. El resto de los comentarios tambien
tiene su interes. Tambien puedes incluirlo como aplicacion el el DEA.

Carlos

Allen, Ewa, and Arthur have already made some
good points about Bo's questions, but perhaps I
can add and clarify a few things.

(1) Regarding SEC-MALLS, remember that the MALLS
does not help whatsoever in measuring the
fractions of long-lived (separable) species---it
is the concentration detector (UV and/or RI) that
does this. The regulatory agencies are very aware
that the column can act as a filter, and also
that typically the mobile phase is different from
the formulation buffer and this change in solvent
condition can change the distribution of
aggregates. Probably 75% of the SV work I do is
therefore aimed at showing that SEC methods are
actually telling the truth (at least
semi-quantitatively). What the MALLS adds is the
ability to actually identify the true MW of the
minor species, i.e. the stoichiometry of
aggregates, which you really can't do based only
on a sedimentation coefficient. Knowing the true
identity of the aggregates is nice, but frankly
it isn't essential because usually we can't
really say whether a trimer is worse than a dimer
with regard to safety or efficacy issues.

(2) Yes sometimes we see clear evidence of
rapidly-reversible association in a SEC-MALLS
experiment (although often it is not recognized
as such by my clients even when they have
acquired such data themselves). But if you want
to measure Kd values for the reversible
association by LS then it is far better to get
rid of the column and use the approach pioneered by Allen Minton.

(3) The regulatory agencies would indeed like to
know the exact distribution of oligomers, both
reversible and irreversible, in the product vial,
even for products at 100+ mg/mL. Unfortunately
they don't always understand that this may be
technically impossible with current technology
and current theoretical understanding of the
strong non-ideality effects that may be present.
They are indeed worried about the possibility
that the rapidly-reversible oligomers may have
biological effects during the period before the
product is dispersed in the body as Allen said
(many of these high concentration products are
given subcutaneously). In my opinion there is
little to no hard evidence that the
rapidly-reversible oligomers really cause
trouble, but one company has stated publically
they think they did for one product so we all have to deal with that issue.

(4) I agree with Arthur that to date most biotech
companies have not been terribly interested in
reversible association thermodynamics. This is
probably going to change at least somewhat due to (3) above.

(5) We tend to think of aggregates as either
irreversible or rapidly-reversible. Many RASMB
readers may not realize that it is not uncommon
to see what I call "metastable" aggregates which
are reversible but dissociate very, very slowly
(hours to days). These seem to exist in a fair
number of antibody preparations. The slow
dissociation allows you to separate and detect
them at low concentrations if the separation
starts immediately after dilution (what we call a "dilute and shoot" protocol).

(6) Although the biotech crowd would LIKE to
measure everything in the actual formulation
buffer and at the concentration in the vial,
often this really isn't feasible. For these high
concentration antibodies at APL we mostly run SV
at 0.5 mg/mL with the "dilute and shoot"
approach. And sometimes the formulation contains
things that cause significant interference (high
levels of sugar, detergents) and we may have to
dilute into a different buffer to get meaningful/reliable data.

John