[RASMB] hiccups

Chad Brautigam Chad.Brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Dec 23 15:10:36 PST 2008

Many thanks to those of you who replied to my post!

To recap:

John Philo thought that the problem could be the motion of the slit
assembly.

Andrew Leech wonders if there should be a flattened part of the scan
before the jump if the rail is the problem.  I'm not sure, but I don't
think that's necessarily the case.  Among other things, he also
wonders if the 400 nm filter was out of position.  Alas, I made that
mistake about a week ago, but not this time.  He suggests an intensity
check on an empty hole, which I will do as soon as practicable.

Claus Urbanke suggests that there might be a voltage regulation
problem with the PM, the kind that might show up if there were
absorbing materials in the reference holes.  There should have been no
(and there was no) intensity gradient in the reference holes, so, if
that is the problem, I think there must be something really faulty
with the PM voltage regulation.  Claus, would such a phenomenon always
show up at (roughly) the same radial position in three different cells?

I'll keep y'all posted on the solution to the problem.

Best wishes to all for the holidays!
Chad

======================================
Chad A. Brautigam, Ph.D.