[RASMB] a hiccup in radial space

Chad Brautigam Chad.Brautigam at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Dec 18 10:05:33 PST 2008

Dear All,

Whilst checking the data from the first speed of a sedimentation
equilibrium run, I noticed a troubling discontinuity in the data.  It
appears in all three cells, and it is not exactly subtle.  The jump in
the data can be as much as 0.1 OD, and it always occurs betwixt 7.05
and 7.06 in radial space.  The anomaly occurs at both 280 and 250 nm.
I attach a graph of three successive scans from the same cell, spaced
four hours apart, for your delectation.  The data were collected in
stepping mode, with 20 replicates.

While I suspect that the heavily glycosylated protein in these samples
might behave nonideally, I suspect that the real problem here is
instrumentation, maybe a sticky rail.  But, before calling my service
rep, I thought I'd tap the collective wisdom of the AUC hive mind.

And a further question:  do y'all think that these data can still be
analyzed if I simply exclude the affected region from the analysis?
I'm running in the 6-hole centerpieces, so that means I'd be
eliminating about half of the data from the outer holes.  Alas.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Best,
Chad

======================================