[RASMB] sapphire windows

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Tue Nov 18 05:37:41 PST 2008

Hi all-
Both marks are aligned with an optical axis. The synthetic fused silica
windows used for UV work is grown as boules along the Z-axis. While
mis-alignment of the axis has little effect on the absorbance
characteristics, it is a good idea to use the mark for reproducible
alignment.
If you mis-align the sapphire windows, you may observe vertical streaks
through the fringes that shift in position and intensity with rotor
speed. So do align the mark on the sapphire windows with the key way.
The fused silica windows are too "soft" for interference work and
deformation-induced inhomogeneities in the refractive index lead to the
fringes being washed out.
The new sapphire windows are nearly as clear in the far UV (at least to
230 nm) and do not break. It is cost-effective to consider using
sapphire windows for all work.
Best wishes,
Tom