[RASMB] laser delay difference between sample and water?

Frank Niesen Frank.Niesen at sgc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 07:54:44 PST 2008

Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply. Does the rotor speed need to be constant to be able do the laser delay setting? I.e. can I do it quickly while the centrifuge is running up to the measurement speed?
Steve Eyles (many thanks for this) also pointed out the possibility that a ill-shaped overspeed disk of oil vapor depositions (sadly, always a worry with XL-i) could be the culprits in the described case.

Best regards,

Frank

>>> Tom Laue <Tom.Laue at unh.edu> 05/11/2008 14:45 >>>
Hi Frank-
The software controlling the laser delay has to compensate for the
effects of signal propagation. For a fixed propagation delay, the rotor
angle changes more at high speed than at low speed. Over much of the
speed range, the software can use a single value to account for the
propagation delay. Unfortunately, the propagation delay is not fixed at
low speeds (due to frequency-dependent phase shifts in the Hall effect
circuitry), so the software incorporates some empirical parameters at
low speed. I haven't been involved with the hardware/software
maintenance of the Beckman interference optics in 15 years, so I am not
sure how they handle the effects on the propagation delays resulting
from any seemingly innocuous changes in the hardware (e.g. the TE board
electronics, DAB electronics).
My recommendation is, if possible, to do the laser delay setting at
speeds >= 6000 rpm, where the propagation delay nonlinearity is minimal.
Best wishes,
Tom Laue