[RASMB] detecting virus particles with AUC

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 26 05:41:26 PDT 2008

Veysel

I agree with John's opinions, and have run the same systems myself. You
can of course scan at more than one wavelength, which enables you to
differentiate between particles 'filled' with nucleic acid and 'empty
particles'. EM done in parallel can be informative too, if you have
access to same.

Just to be a bit more optimistic than John, though, about the danger of
a cell leak:

(1) our SOPs require us to do a dummy run (buffer both channels) with
every cell, which is then used without disassembly. We started this
some years ago, and have never had a cell leak since

(2) at 3K to 10K rpm the chances of a window break are pretty low, in
any case

(3) if perchance a cell does leak at speed, then the contents are
discharged via the chamber down the throat of a diffusion pump filled
with boiling oil vapour, so nothing should survive to get into the
atmosphere via that route. Our local H&S people were happy to accept
this argument. But obviously, as John says, de-toxing the cells will
call for enquiry as to possible effects on cell components.

Arthur

On Sep 25, 2008, at 19:58, John Philo wrote:

> Veysel,
>
> Yes, this can be done, see:
> Berkowitz, S. A. and Philo, J. S. (2007). Monitoring the homogeneity of
> adenovirus preparations (a gene therapy delivery system) using
> analytical
> ultracentrifugation.  Anal. Biochem. 362, 16-37.
>
> The speed will of course depend on the virus monomer size but also on
> the
> extent of aggregation. Some adenovirus preparations were so aggregated
> (like
> 1,000-10,000-mers) it was difficult to capture everything at 3,000 rpm
> (that's about as slow as the instrument wants to go). I've run
> adenovirus
> usually at 3,000 rpm and AAV (a smaller one) at around 10,000 rpm, so
> that
> is probably the right ballpark, but you'll probably need to do a
> preliminary
> run to get the right speed.
>
> Hopefully this virus isn't a serious biosafety issue, but you will
> want to
> think about the fact that if your cell leaks the vacuum pump will
> potentially vaporize virus into the room. Also some viruses may require
> detoxification with bleach, but that will destroy your aluminum
> housings.
>
> John

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD