AW: AW: [RASMB] Interpreting SV and SE data

Titus M. Franzmann 2titus at franzmann.org
Thu May 29 13:48:04 PDT 2008

Eric,
You mention that you observe a monomer-dimer equilibrium at intermediate
concentrations, which would be around 100-500 µM? And trimers only at even
higher concentrations. This indicates a very weak association constant. I
wonder, since the trimer is not populated a low concentrations (5 µM, which
typically already exceeds the cellular concentration of a certain compound),
how does it relate to a physiological relevant concentration in the cell?
Anyway, if the potential trimer is populated specifically under equilibrium
conditions, one would expect a cooperative association transition. However,
this may be hard to address with SE, as it is hard to accurately evaluate
the contribution of each species to the observed exponential, since you
propose a stable dimeric equilibrium intermediate. In SV, I guess (but this
is a question that I would like to post to the entire forum) it would
presumably give you a sigmoidal curve for interacting systems when you
analyze the observed S-values as a function of the protein concentration, as
the signal is predominantly caused by the most abundant species, which
increases relatively compared to the other species. From this you should be
able to extract the S for the species at which the association stops at a
defined level (trimer) and this should allow you to determine the KD for
each and the overall reaction. With this and the knowledge of the dimer
intermediate in this particular folding mechanism you can calculate the
fraction of trimers at any given concentration.

Best regards
Titus