[RASMB] Interpreting SV and SE data

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Thu May 29 12:48:17 PDT 2008

Hi Eric,

whether or not c(M) is a good way to confirm the molar mass of the trimer
depends on how much you can shift the population to that state.  If it is
the predominant species and the peak doesn't shift anymore with higher
concentrations, then it should work fine according to our experience with
our systems, and following the theoretical expectations (a reaction
boundary can be well-described by a single diffusion coefficient - you can
simulate such data in SEDPHAT [see the workshop handouts for how to do
that] and re-analyze it with c(s) or c(M) and see at what concentrations
the approximations break down).  However, without seeing the actual c(s)
traces for the different concentrations, I cannot say if it is reasonable
in your case or not.

I agree with John about checking if the s-value makes sense
hydrodynamically for the trimer.

I don't know how large the aggregates are, but unless they are much larger
than the highest oligomer of interest, they can cause more trouble in the
SE analysis than in SV.

Peter