[RASMB] Interpreting SV and SE data

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu May 29 12:22:17 PDT 2008

Eric, I agree with Walt Stafford's points with regard to what would be
necessary to fully characterize the association scheme and thermodynamics.
But it sounds to me like all you really want to do is to show that the
trimer you see in the crystal is at least a major species present in
solution.

It sounds like in velocity you have a range of concentrations over which a
c(s) analysis shows a peak at a constant position of 2.6 S, but the peak
area goes up and down with concentration. That constant S value suggests
this peak is predominantly a single species and might be your putative
trimer. Given that you have a crystal structure you should be able to
calculate the expected sedimentation coefficient of that trimer and see if
that matches the 2.6 S peak. That is, even for an interacting boundary we
sometimes can have conditions where the species are pure enough that the
sedimentation coefficients are meaningful and can potentially be used to
identify the state of oligomerization. But as Walt said, trying to identify
stoichiometry based on a c(M) distribution is highly dangerous.

I am not clear though what you mean by this "aggregate" forming at high
concentrations. If this is a reversible species then it may be a normal part
of the assembly pathway under non-crystallizing solution conditions. At a
minimum it would have to be considered in analyzing sedimentation
equilibrium experiments at higher concentrations, but if this higher
oligomer forms reversibly in substantial amounts then it may not be clear
whether the trimer is the relevant species under physiological conditions.

John