[RASMB] Sedfit peak integration

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Fri May 23 11:14:58 PDT 2008

Hi Dean,
    By slow I mean an  off rate slower than 1e-5 sec^-1 or slower. An
off rate faster than 1e-4 sec^-1 will distort the boundary enough to be
noticeable. And any thing faster than about 0.01 will behave essentially
as instantaneous at the usual speeds in the centrifuge.

Hope that helps,
Walter

Dean Malencik wrote:
> Walter,
>
> You stated
> "Just remember that for an interacting system - unless it's
>
>> extremely slow - the areas under the peaks are meaningless..
>>

> When you say slow what kind of times are we talking about?
>
> Dean Malencik
> malencid at ucs.orst.edu

> On 5/20/2008 at 1:09 PM Walter Stafford wrote:
>

>> Hi John,
>>
>> To add the what John said: SEDANAL can also treat kinetically controlled
>> systems as well with forward and reverse rate constants as fitting
>> parameters. Just remember that for an interacting system - unless it's
>> extremely slow - the areas under the peaks are meaningless; in fact, the
>> whole concept of peaks that correspond to species is meaningless. Those
>> data must be fit to an interacting system model that can correctly
>> represent the reaction boundary shape and evolution with time. Only a
>> single weight average sedimentation coefficient value can be obtained
>>
> >from each loading concentration (i.e. each cell loading). Whole boundary
>
>> global fitting to multiple data sets gives you much more data (i.e.
>> better signal-to-noise) to work with and much better discrimination
>> between potential association schemes.
>>
>> Walter
>>
>> John Philo wrote:
>>
>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> I agree with Jack Correia's points but I am not sure he stated
>>> forcefully enough that the _heights_ of the peaks are irrelevant---it
>>> is only the areas that are potentially meaningful. The peak widths
>>> from the c(s) method depend on signal/noise ratio, maximum entropy
>>> settings, etc. and in general have no direct physical meaning, and
>>> therefore the same is true for the peak heights.
>>>
>>> I'm also not sure you and Jack are using the term "normalization" in
>>> the same sense. The normalization Jack is referring to sets the total
>>> area under the curve of a g(s*) or c(s) distribution to 1 (100%) so
>>> the area for each peak gives the fraction of that species. You can
>>> manually normalize a c(s) distribution from SEDFIT by exporting it and
>>> dividing the Y values by the total area reported by SEDFIT's
>>> integration function; in DCDT+ normalization is a built-in option.
>>>
>>> With regard to fitting SV data to an explicit competition model, since
>>> SEDANAL allows developing and fitting your own assembly models I am
>>> sure it could do this.
>>>
>>> John

>>> simple.  Direct boundary fitting to a competitive model is also

mailto:stafford at bbri.org
direct dial:   617-658-7808
receptionist:  617-658-7700
-----