[RASMB] v-bar estimates/measurements for G-Quadruplexes

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Wed Apr 30 07:44:50 PDT 2008

Hi-
The partial specific volume is a system (not molecular) parameter. For
poly-electrolytes, the partial specific volume depends on the solvent
and, in particular, the counterions. We have done some work with a
quad-stranded oligo in 100 mM KCl, 10 mM Tris, pH 8. The vbar we
estimate from equilibrium data is 0.61+/-0.02 ml/g, which seems a bit
high to me (I'd expect something closer to 0.55 ml/g). On the other
hand, this is a G-C rich oligo.
Best wishes,
Tom