[RASMB] peptide in DMSO (2)

Harding Stephen Steve.Harding at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 29 08:04:32 PDT 2008

Dear Andrew/Tom/Christine & co.
Thanks for this.
Just to point out that we used 12mm path length Kel-F cells, inert to
solvents like DMSO, GuHCl etc.  These were obtained in the old Model E
days, I'm not sure if Beckman still make them, if there is enough demand
maybe they will become available again?
However we've recently been using the new 20mm path length
centrepieces/cells made by Kristian Schilling's company in Potsdam.  The
cp's are aluminium and seem to be absolutely fine with DMSO.  But as Tom
said avoid the epon based centrepieces.

For carbohydrates dn/dc in 90% DMSO is approx half to a third that in
water, my guess is you will get a similar reduction for your peptide.
[I've looked in our Refractive Increment Data Book for anything on
proteins in DMSO but drawn a blank - but we did some AUC work some years
ago on gluten proteins in DMSO which never got written up, I will see if
I can dig this out]

The higher viscosity will slow things down considerably of course.  This
is not such a problem for amylopectin or amylose but for low molecular
weight peptides which will have small s-values in aqueous solvents this
may become  a major problem.

Kristian's excellent long path length cells - besides helping with the
starch work - have also made it possible at last to perform low speed
sedimentation equilibrium experiments at low concentration (nb in
aqueous solvents not DMSO) on polysaccharides and glycoconjugates,
enabling us to minimize the effects of the large non-ideality of these
substances (this is the first time we have been able to do this since
the Model E days with their wonderful 30mm path length centrepieces).
Steve

Prof. Stephen Harding
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington