[RASMB] intensity issues

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Apr 7 04:46:45 PDT 2008

> Hi Borries,
>
> Your plot gives the intensity as a function of scan number; it would
> be interesting to see whether the period of the fluctuation is a
> constant time (implying some slow cycling process in the machine, maybe
> cooling or vacuum?); or related to speed or interval between scans
> (perhaps implying some kind of curious timing problem).
>
> Do you know if the period changes at different speeds?

Hi Andrew,

I agree with you, this period is very peculiar. I was thinking about asking
them to run it again at a different speed, but right now I don't have any
data from different speeds. I guess they don't want to run it again until
it is fixed. At any rate, the period is on the scale of minutes, which is
probably not speed related, but I am just speculating. Tom's earlier comment
seems plausible - some underlying oscillation in the electronics of the
machine are visible because the intensity is so low the oscillation's amplitude
becomes apparent. Beckman service is supposed to show up today and fix it.
I was just hoping to provide them some addtl. info so they could troubleshoot
this quicker. I'll post to the list when they find the problem.

-Borries