[RASMB] Lamp Diagnostics

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Sat Apr 5 13:15:45 PDT 2008

Hi-
The variation in lamp intensity with wavelength is less at 400 nm than
at 230 nm.
If you are interested in the uniformity of the light intensity across
the cell due to the alignment of the lamp, spatial variation in PMT
sensitivity, cleanliness of the various optical components, it would be
better to use 400 nm. If you want to include variation due to the
coincidence of the radial axis with the wavelength dispersion of the
light coming out monochromator (i.e. the light along one side of the
rectangle of light is a slightly different color than the light on the
opposite edge), then use the sharper peak at 230 nm. Using the holmium
oxide filter test is an even better way to get at the latter effects,
but my experience is that the wavelength dispersion effects are small
compared to the other effects.
Tom

University of New Hampshire
Rudman Hall 379