[RASMB] interference optics

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Sat Apr 5 13:05:09 PDT 2008

Hi Fumio-
John is right about the Weiner skewing and I agree that using thinner
cells is a good idea.
I believe the jogs in your data may have a slightly different origin. At
each radial position the software can only determine the fractional
fringe shift (relative to the first radial position, defined as 0 fringe
shift). In order to keep track of the total fringe shift, the software
accumulates the total fringe shift, by adding or subtracting the
increment between the current calculation and the preceding fractional
fringe determination. There is a limit to the maximum fringe shift
between adjacent points that can be accounted for. If the data are
steeper than that, i.e. the fringes shift by 0.9 fringe between two
radial positions (or in cases where the fringes are of poor quality) the
software gets confused and you get the sorts of jumps seen in your data.
In general, the software-caused jumps occur at concentration gradients
that are below the Weiner skewing limit.

Beckman sells 3 mm centerpieces and Spin Analytical sells 3 mm and 1.2
mm centerpieces. The spacers for these centerpieces place the solution
approximately at the midpoint of the cell. In principle, the
interference optics should be focused at the 2/3 plane of the solution
to minimize the effects of Weiner skewing. Fortunately, the shorter
optical path reduces the effects if Weiner skewing (see Yphantis, DA
[1964] Biochemistry 3:297-317, for a full discussion). There is not a
way to focus the "stock" XLA interference optics with sufficient
accuracy. Jeff Lary has modified the XLA lens mounts with micrometer
screws, which do have sufficient accuracy (though using Gropper's spurs,
the preferred method of determining the proper focus, is not available
on the XLA).

John's second point also is true. Most current software have limited
capabilities to handle nonideality in sedimentation velocity data. This
means that Weiner skewing has a relatively small effect on boundary
shape compared to nonideality. SedFit/SedPhat uses two proportionality
constants to account for the effects of thermodynamic and hydrodynamic
nonideality. Note that these two terms have opposite effects on boundary
shape- hydrodynamic nonideality sharpens boundaries, repulsive
thermodynamic nonideality broadens them. For symmetrical, globular
proteins with low to moderate charge and in solvents having an ionic
strength ~0.1 M, the model seems to work adequately for a single
component up to ~15 - 20 mg/ml (hydrodynamic nonideality dominates). The
models cannot handle systems that have significant concentrations of
multiple components (separate cross terms are needed that reference the
individual concentrations, e.g. the Johnston-Ogston effect) or systems
where both attractive and repulsive thermodynamic terms are significant.
Walter Stafford is working adding the ability to handle these cross
terms to Sedanal.

With the Aviv fluorescence detection system, it is possible to acquire
data in very complex, very concentrated solutions (e.g. serum, sputum,
urine, cell lysates) that exhibit all sorts of nonideality. For systems
like serum, etc. while the nonideality is complicated, it also is
relatively constant from sample to sample, and you often can answer some
very interesting qualitative questions deductively.

Best wishes,
Tom

John Philo wrote:

> Fumio,
>
> There is a limit on the maximum gradient that can be measured
> (fringes/mm) due to Weiner (? spelling) skewing, and you are exceeding
> that limit.  As Ariel said you should switch to 3 mm centerpieces, and
> then at some point to get to higher concentrations you would have to
> drop the rotor speed too to broaden the boundaries. If you look
> through the old RASMB postings you will find a number of
> excellent posts from others about Weiner skewing and proper optical
> alignment to minimize distortion of strong gradients.
>
> But probably the more important question is what are you going to be
> able to do with such data even if you collect it? Remember, in
> velocity there is hydrodynamic non-ideality as well as thermodynamic
> non-ideality, so the non-ideality effects will kill you at much lower
> concentrations than in equilibrium. To my knowledge the only model
> available to analyze a velocity experiment at 10 mg/mL is a single
> non-ideal species. At high concentrations you cannot even correctly
> measure the fractions of different components (e.g. aggregates) in a
> multi-component mixture due to the Johnston-Ogston effect.
>
> John

University of New Hampshire
Rudman Hall 379
46 College Road