[RASMB] Lamp Diagnostics

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Fri Apr 4 08:57:17 PDT 2008

It is worth noting that Beckman has a service manual for the XLA XLI that discusses all of these features and tests and specs.  The spec for linearity is 20% when measured at 280 nm on a windowless cell (or an empty hole) at 3000 rpm using OD values 1 cm apart.  The old manual specified 6.0 and 7.0 cm.  With the old lamp rotation of the lamp strongly influenced the intensity across the cell; the newer lamp holder is now symmetric and do not vary as much with rotation, in my experience.  The old part # for this manual is 679045 but my copy is dated 1/92.  The newest version I am aware of is called Proteome Lab XLA & XLI Service Manual dated (10/3).  Sorry I do not have a part # - the relevant chapter is section 3.  It describes wavelength calibration and accuracy checks, Intensity checks, cleaning the optics, radial position calibration, etc, etc.  Obviously depends upon the software you have as well.   In my opinion it is well worth buying or getting a copy for your service guy - in the long run it saves both of you time.  Why this isn't standard operation procedure with Beckman is a very good question.

Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
Department of Biochemistry
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS  39216
(601) 984-1522
fax (601) 984-1501
email address: jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
homepage location: http://biochemistry.umc.edu/correia.html
dept homepage location:    http://biochemistry.umc.edu/

>>> On 4/4/2008 at 10:18 AM, in message <C7B1B01A69FC4164B0213B9168C3CBAA at 79B7XD1>, "John Philo" <jphilo at mailway.com> wrote:
Mitra,

To my knowledge there is no specification for intensity variation across the
cell, but in my experience few instruments would vary as little as 10%.
Probably 20-30% is more typical. It is a common mistake to think that the
absolute intensities have a strong effect on the signal/noise. It is
doubtful that you would notice the effect of even a 50% drop in intensity
(assuming you are starting from a normal level). Further, positioning the
lamp to give the maximum possible intensity will not necessarily give the
best overall performance---quite often the maximum intensity position also
gives high stray light and compromises the linearity.

John