[RASMB] intensity issues

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Apr 3 11:32:40 PDT 2008

> Borris,
> 	I have a number of questions.
> 1 What wavelength?

That was donw at 280...

> 2 What's the 229 peak intensity?
> 3 What's the 229 peak location?

I am waiting for them to provide me with this information - I have a feeling
it will be badly out of spec. Service has been notified to correct these problems,
but I have a feeling they don't know what to do about the intensity oscillation,
so I wanted to head off this problem by querying the expertise on this board
so Beckman service has something to go by.

> 4 Are these the ADC numbers on the left?

The y-axis are the counts from the photomultiplier tube (very low!)
Ours - when scanning water - produces around 3000-5000 at 280 nm with a clean lamp.

> What the scan shows is the total lack of energy.

Agreed.

> This is what noise looks like.

But certainly not stochastic noise - so I would like to know what the source of
the periodic noise is. The scans actually look pretty darn good considering the
low intensity. The stochastic noise is not much higher than in our well-tuned
instrument.

-Borries