[RASMB] swelling polymers

Aerts Tony tony.aerts at ua.ac.be
Sun Feb 10 22:51:07 PST 2008

Dear all,

A private company ask me the following question:
They have a polymer which is crosslinked poly(acrylic) acid . This
polymer is used for preparing gels for medical purposes. The degree of
swelling in water is important for them.  They now ask me to determine
the degree of swelling by analytical ultracentrifugation. Is this
possible? They refer to an article of Dr. H. Lange in Colloid and
Polymer science 264,488-493 ( 1986) : Determination of the degree of
swelling and crosslinking of extremely small polymer gel quantities by
analytical ultracentrifugation. This is done with a Beckmann model E.
It seems also a very complicated experiment. Is there not a more easier
way to do this with the XLA?
Any help or suggestion is welcome.
Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Aerts Tony
University of Antwerp
Campus Drie Eiken Building T5.31
Department of Biomedical Sciences
Laboratory of Neurochemistry & Behaviour
Universiteitsplein 1
2610 Wilrijk
email : tony.aerts at ua.ac.be <mailto:tony.aerts at ua.ac.be>
Phone : 00 32 (0) 8202605