[RASMB] Sedimentation coefficient of human serum albumin monomer and good protein standard with well established s value

Mattia Rocco mattia.rocco at istge.it
Tue Dec 18 01:03:29 PST 2007

Hi - As an electronic supplement to our May 2005 Structure paper (Rai et
al., 13:723-734), we have published a detailed analysis of the literature
hydrodynamic data of BPTI, RNase A and lysozyme. Although they are
relatively small, and thus not the best standards for sedimentation
velocity, it seems to me that both RNase and lysozyme could be used, as
they can be obtained commercially in large quantities and relatively pure.
For lysozyme, be careful to use it at pH<5, as above it dimerizes. Needless
to say, if you want to properly calibrate, you will need to run a
concentration series to extrapolate the sed. coeff. value reported in the
literature. Anyway, I'll be happy to send the supplement to anyone that
cannot download it from the Structure website.

Regarding BSA (why use HSA while BSA is much cheaper, and surely much more
studied?), it can be purified by size-exclusion chromatography using a
modern HPLC (or FPLC) apparatus and suitable columns. For instance, we use
two TSK PWXL G3000 analytical columns connected in series. In our hands,
the dimer and trimer peaks can be separated almost to baseline, so if you
take the peak fractions you'll have quite pure material, and in enough
quantity for AUC work. However, I don't know if you can find a "good" BSA
sedimentation coefficient value in the literature, i.e. one determined
after those purification steps have been taken, I have never examined this
issue.

Cheers - Mattia

Dr. Mattia Rocco
Proteomica
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro (IST)
c/o Centro per le Biotecnologie Avanzate (CBA)
IST c/o CBA, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10
I-16132 Genova, Italy

Phone: +39-0105737-310
Fax: +39-0105737-325