[RASMB] peptide concentration

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Nov 16 14:30:52 PST 2007

Hi Christine,

In general, high concentrations can give rise to steep gradients at
the bottom of the cell, which may introduce Wiener skewing (an optical
distortion of the gradient) once the slope gets too steep. But for
molecules as small as your peptides you shouldn't have too much of a
problem with gradients that are too steep, even at the highest speeds
possible with the XLI (which you will have to use to characterize
molecules that are that small, and if you run long column expts. you
could exclude some of the steeper regions at the bottom).

For best results I would probably run a long-column velocity experiment
and fit the approach-to-equilibrium data using finite element models
to get molecular weights from s and D. Short column experiments should
give you quickly equilibrating gradients you should be able to fit for
MW directly.  Another question you should consider is if there is some
concentration dependent non-ideality that may have to be considered at
such high concentrations. This may require fitting the virial coefficient.

I am not sure how stable your protein is, but in general you should be
able to recover your sample without any problem. The only time this may
be difficult is if the sample actually pellets out and sticks to the
wall of the centerpiece, making recovery less efficient.

-Borries