[RASMB] Aluminum SV Cell Corrosion

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Nov 16 11:26:01 PST 2007

James,

If the  fill holes are not completely sealed, small vacuum leaks occur
and may have been the reason for the salt build-up on the centerpieces
and cell housing. We normally rinse and sonicate the centerpieces and
windows in a mild detergent followed by a good rinse with ethanol and
then milliQ water. As for the housings, the salt should rinse off with
water. I've also polished the housings with a cloth sprayed with WD40
especially along the alignment rib so that it doesn't corrode and make
the components stick in the cell. After cleaning, the cell should be ok
to use. Try running it with water and check it if you're not sure.

Help that helps.

Virgil

E. James Petersson wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Recently, I used aluminum centerpieces for the first time and found
> what appears to be corrosion on both the centerpiece as well as the
> cell housing.  The cell was allowed to sit for about 1 week after the
> run was complete before cleaning.  I did not notice substantial
> leaking (the sample and reference channels were not noticeably
> depleted), but clearly some leaking must have taken place.  My buffer
> is 10 mM phosphate, 200 mM NaCl, pH 7.2.
> If anyone has any advice regarding 1) cleaning off the corrosion, 2)
> whether this cell is still usable, or 3) how to prevent this in the
> future, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thank you,
> James

> E. James Petersson
>  email: e.james.petersson at yale.edu <mailto:e.james.petersson at yale.edu>
> Department of Chemistry            Lab:   203-432-8940
> Yale University                             Cell:  626-644-1091
> 225 Prospect St.                           Fax:   203-432-3486
> New Haven, CT 06511

Virgil Schirf
Technical Director, Center for Macromolecular Interactions
<http://cmmi.uthscsa.edu>
Department of Biochemistry, Rm 4.523U
The University of Texas Health Science Center
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio TX 78229-3900
Voice mail: 210 567-6590
Fax: 210 567-6595