[RASMB] Aluminum SV Cell Corrosion

E. James Petersson e.james.petersson at yale.edu
Fri Nov 16 11:04:32 PST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Recently, I used aluminum centerpieces for the first time and found
what appears to be corrosion on both the centerpiece as well as the
cell housing.  The cell was allowed to sit for about 1 week after the
run was complete before cleaning.  I did not notice substantial
leaking (the sample and reference channels were not noticeably
depleted), but clearly some leaking must have taken place.  My buffer
is 10 mM phosphate, 200 mM NaCl, pH 7.2.
If anyone has any advice regarding 1) cleaning off the corrosion, 2)
whether this cell is still usable, or 3) how to prevent this in the
future, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
James

E. James Petersson                     email: e.james.petersson at yale.edu
Department of Chemistry            Lab:   203-432-8940
Yale University                             Cell:  626-644-1091
225 Prospect St.                           Fax:   203-432-3486
New Haven, CT 06511