[RASMB] CsCl density

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Fri Sep 14 12:30:56 PDT 2007

Hi All,

Vinograd's lab found from the International Critical Tables the
linear relationship p=10.860n-13.4974 for CsCl density aqueous
solutions vs refractive index. You can get reasonably close to the
density of CsCl you want by assuming additive volumes of water and
solid CsCl. The density of CsCl is 3.99. Select the final volume of
the solution you want and set up simultaneous equations for additive
volumes and additive mass of water plus CsCl.  This will allow you to
determine the weight of CsCl needed for a chosen density that you
want and the volume of water you need to add to the CsCl.  Once you
have this bulk solution that is close to what you need you can
measure the refractive index or use a density meter for density
determination to four places.

Jack