[RASMB] new reductant profiles online

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 01:54:38 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I'd like to echo Tom's point that the oxidation changes depend on the
protein as I have seen this too and it nullifies the idea of having
a "reference" cell to quantify the effect...

> Hi-
> The rate of oxidation depends, too, on the presence of protein and
 > even on the specific protein. I've seen protein samples that have
> both faster and slower oxidation than solvent alone.
> Best wishes,
> Tom

...and agree with Borries that this causes a particular problem for
equilibrium runs - especially if the redox changes involve aggregation
of the protein, so you have curvature changes convolved with baseline
shifts and everything gets a bit qualitative. Sometimes you just have
to go back to the user for a "full and frank discussion" about sample
prep!

Best regards,

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Manager
Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk