[RASMB] new reductant profiles online

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Sep 6 14:05:36 PDT 2007

Peter,

Thanks for the plot, I will add your data to our website. I agree, the
pattern looks *quite* different in TRIS buffer (and less problematic). So
your mileage may vary and absorption patterns could differ significantly
in different pH, ionic strength, buffer, and protein conditions. Clearly,
at the high pH conditions where the reductants were compared, DTT even at
low concentration may not be a good choice.  I'm also not too sure I would
like to have to worry about drifting baselines, especially in equilibrium
experiments where you want to maintain as large a dynamical range as
possible, and where you have longer run times. I guess the lesson here is
to try it out on your particular system if background absorbance matters.

-Borries