[RASMB] new reductant profiles online

David Hayes hayes at bbri.org
Thu Sep 6 11:47:46 PDT 2007

Hi,

I also wanted to report for the list that TCEP has not seemed as
powerful as a reducing agent at DTT in some experiments here and we
have gone back to DTT in some cases to ensure that disulfide
crosslinks are broken.  We did not do a systematic study, but just
quickly went back to DTT after trying TCEP because of the result we
were getting in AUC and in some Malemide labelling reactions.

We use interference optics most of the time, so we don't worry as
much about the absorbance.  We used the TCEP in the hope that
Malemide labelling reactions could be performed more easily.

Dr. David B Hayes
Analytical Ultracentrifugation Research Laboratory
Boston Biomedical Research Institute
64 Grove St.
Watertown, MA  02472
617-658-7738