[RASMB] Viscosity of D2O

Peter Sherwood sherwood at computer.org
Wed Sep 5 00:32:03 PDT 2007

At 01:31 PM 9/4/2007, you wrote:
>Does anyone know a reliable  source for the viscosities of D20 and
>D20 / H20 mixtures at 20 degrees? The most recent paper that I could
>dig up (Hardy, R.C. and Cottingham, R.L. (1949) J. Chem. Phys. 17,
>509) lists the absolute viscosity of 100% D20 at 20 degrees as 1.2514 cP.

Jim -

Don't know how reliable it is, but a Google search on "viscosity D2O"
yielded this interesting abstract (I don't have access to the full
article, no longer being an ACS member).

Phys. Chem. B, 103 (11), 1991 -1994, 1999.

Thermal Offset Viscosities of Liquid H2O, D2O, and T2O

C. H. Cho,
[]
 J. Urquidi,
[]
 S. Singh,
[]
 and G. Wilse Robinson*
[]
[]

SubPicosecond and Quantum Radiation Laboratory, Department of
Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Department of Physics, Texas Tech
University, Lubbock, Texas 79409-1061, and HNC Software Inc., 5930
Cornerstone Court West, San Diego, CA 92121-3728

In Final Form: January 19, 1999

Abstract:

As suggested in a previous study under the title "Simple Relationship
Between the Properties of Isotopic Water", viscosity results verify
the fact that the structural properties of liquid H2O and D2O are
nearly identical once a zero-point-energy-induced thermal offset
effect is taken into account. This means that the viscosities of
these two isotopic forms must be compared at different temperatures,
rather than at the same temperature. Only in this way can the
expected (MD2O/MH2O)1/2 viscosity ratio be retrieved. Application of
this most simple idea, with no additional parameter adjustment, to
H2O viscosity data, or equivalently to any of the existing empirical
viscosity equations for H2O, leads to D2O viscosities having better
than 1% accuracy over a wide temperature range. This isotopic
correlation concept has also been used here to predict viscosities of
liquid T2O, no viscosity data apparently being available for this substance.