[RASMB] Spikes in data

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Aug 30 11:57:11 PDT 2007

Mitra,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what this 'spike' looks like, but
sometimes dirt on the slit assembly will produce noise in certain scans and
not others, and it tends to move around. Another effect that might cause
something like that is bending of the light beam due to a strong gradient of
some molecule that doesn't absorb at that wavelength (the refractive index
gradient makes the light miss the opening in the slit assembly). This latter
issue has been discussed a number of times on RASMB previously, I think most
recently under a discussion of 'Schlieren effects' or something like that,
so check the archives.

John