[RASMB] nucleic acid vbar

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Wed Aug 29 04:22:47 PDT 2007

Hi-
Be aware that nucleic acid bound to protein may have a different vbar
than free nucleic acid in a salt solution. In such a case, the protein
becomes a major fraction of the counterions. Counterion concentration
matters to vbar in addition to counterion type, especially at low (< 10
mM) counterion concentrations. It should be noted, too, that the Stokes
radius determined for any of these conditions is the correct value. The
variation in vbar is a reflection of the changes in solvation.
Depending on the question being asked, you may not need to measure vbar.
In particular, the Stokes radius may be determined without knowing vbar
by substituting the buoyant mass from equilibrium data in the velocity
equation: S = Mb/f. The accuracy of this method is ~5%.
Best wishes,
Tom