[RASMB] Measurable limits of the interference system of the XL-I

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:08:27 PDT 2007

Hi Christine-
While there is no practical upper concentration limit to the
interference optics, there are very real limits to the concentration
gradients it can follow. The horizontal pixel spacing of the camera and
the "splicing" routine used to convert fractional fringe displacement to
the total fringe displacement limit the concentration gradient to values
less than 0.5 fringes/10 um (500 fringes/cm). While this seems like a
lot, it is in the range of concentration gradients where focusing
affects the accuracy of the concentration determinations (e.g. Weiner
skewing may be significant).
My experience is that with 12 mm centerpieces, the system has difficulty
tracing gradients in solutions with concentrations > ~20 mg/ml
(depending on how much or little diffusional broadening there is).
If you are less concerned about the accuracy of the concentration
readings, you may increase the concentration range by using thinner
centerpieces. Be aware, though, that the focus of the XLI assumes 12 mm
centerpieces are being used. You will still get good fringes, and the
concentrations will be reasonably close to the correct values so long as
the gradients are not very steep. You can get an idea of how much error
to expect from David Yphantis's 1964 paper:
D. A. Yphantis. Equilibrium Ultracentrifugation of Dilute Solutions.
Biochemistry 3:297-317, 1964.
Best wishes,
Tom