[RASMB] XL/I absorbance problem

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed Jun 13 12:28:23 PDT 2007

Andrew,

First, I think the dip in intensity around 6.3 cm could be a photomultiplier
issue rather than a slit issue (and might be as simple as the face being
dirty).

Your current incident data are very strange. The fact that it no2 seems to
bounce between only two possible values suggests to me that this is actually
an electronic problem with the data acquisition board (DAB) rather than the
optical components.

If your old XL-A still has the older type of lamp housing then I believe it
also has the older style of mounting socket for the monochromator and
therefore you can't swap monochromators or lamp housings. I would certainly
consult your field service engineer before attempting a swap that might
damage a $20K+ component. I see nothing here that clearly indicates a
monochromator problem. A dirty monochromator could drop the overall
intensities and perhaps produce the dip near 6.3 cm but I don't think it
would make the incident data look so odd.

If the r.m.s. noise on your empty hole scan is above 0.01 OD then you are
out of spec and you should have no trouble getting Beckman to address the
issue.

John