[RASMB] XL/I absorbance problem

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Jun 13 11:55:51 PDT 2007

Andrew,

There shouldn't be a problem switching out the monochromator to
troubleshoot. I've done it before without incident. You will have to do
a wavelength calibration if you do switch out the monochromators and
that sometimes can take several scans to get the 230/567 nm peaks in the
correct positions.

Attached is a picture of, what we termed, the dreaded comb similar to
what you are seeing. This particular problem was caused by bad circuitry
atop the heat sink after the instrument overheated causing major damage;
however, other factors mentioned earlier can cause the same effect -
most notably a bad or dirty slit drive.

Good luck,

Virgil

--