[RASMB] max out photomultiplier

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon May 14 15:13:45 PDT 2007

Hermes,

Definitely you should always power down the centrifuge before the slit
assembly is removed! Yes I believe photomultipliers can show some slow
recovery after excessive light exposure, but if the intensity has not
recovered by now I don't think it will without intervention, and you will
probably need to bring in the service engineer.

However it is possible that the problem is not in the PMT itself. The
intensity loss might have been caused by the attempted cleaning of the slit
assembly---it is very easy to block the slit itself with debris, or possibly
you did not put the two little lenses back in quite correctly. Also my
understanding is that there is an integrated circuit amplifier located
within the base of the PMT housing, and this too can be damaged if there is
excessive PMT current (too much light). So unfortunately you might need an
entire PMT assembly, not just a new PMT.

Good luck,

John