[RASMB] Sedimentation equilibrium question

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 06:23:18 PDT 2007

Hi Sarah

There are lots of good suggestion coming your way - so I will not duplicate.
But one little point does occur to me. You sound to be floating the
(reduced) molecular weight of your protein. Assuming that what you have is a
chemically pure system (i.e. there is only one covalently bound entity
present (you say it is 84 kDa, purified) then you should be fixing this
parameter for the monomeric species, whatever mode of analysis you use.

Oh, and one little thing more. There are dangers in the "try every model you
can think of, select the one which has best residuals/whatever as being
correct" approach. It has long been appreciated that simple theory shows
that if you keep on doing this, then you will always, eventually, come up
with something that looks good. Doesn't mean it's right, though. The famous
example of this is the search (a few years back) for ways of predicting
earthquakes - which eventually came up* with a statistically good
correlation between occurrence of terrestrial earthquakes and the phases of
a moon of the planet Uranus!

Kind regards

Arthur
*the authors did report this with tongue firmly in cheek, I should add.
-
Arthur Rowe
Lab at Sutton Bonington
tel: +44 115 951 6156