[RASMB] dimer dissociation kinetics via sed. velocity

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jan 10 10:25:35 PST 2007

John, Avi & other RASMBers -

Any hydrodynamic measurement is inevitably going to involve
contributions from both unfolding and dissociation.  Discriminating
between the two processes that may be occurring on comparable time
scales is problematic to say the least.  I suggested to Avi that
static LS would be the method of choice, since it is sensitive only
to dissociation.  A batch LS measurement directly gives the
dependence of wt-av MW on time, which is a simple function of the
first order dissociation constant.  Conversely, failure to model the
observed dependence of wt-av MW on time by a simple first-order
dissociation would also be a sensitive flag that something more
complex (and perhaps more interesting) is going on

"If your only tool is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble
nails."   (Who said it first?)  I think this epigram concisely
describes a mindset that afflicts too many in the RASMB
community.   AUC is a lovely technique, but not necessarily the best
way to study everything.

Allen