[RASMB] dimer dissociation kinetics via sed. velocity

Avi Chakrabartty chakrab at uhnres.utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 9 12:55:30 PST 2007

Dear RASMB members,

We are working on the folding mechanism of a dimeric protein. Exposure of
the protein to 4M guanidine-HCl causes the protein to unfold with a
half-life of 1 hour. We would like to compare the unfolding rate with rate
of dimer dissociation.

We are wondering whether the rate constant for dimer dissociation can be
obtained from a sedimentation velocity experiment. In one experiment, we
would determine s-coefficient for monomeric unfolded protein. In the
second experiment, we would expose the protein to denaturant just prior to
initiating the sedimentation run, and collect as many scans as possible.
For data analysis, we would input the s-value for unfolded monomer and try
to float the s-value for the folded dimer and the rate constant for
dissociation to obtain the best fit.

Is this approach reasonable? What method should we use to determine s?
(e.g. the Transport Method may be easiest to modify to include the dimer
dissociation) Because we are interested in determining the dissociation
rate constant and not the s-coefficients, can we assume that the diffusion
constant is same for monomer and dimer? Has anyone attempted this type of
measurement before?

Best regards,

Avi Chakrabartty, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Departments of Medical Biophysics and Biochemistry,
University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute,
MaRS Centre, 101 College St., Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L7, CANADA
Phone: 416-581-7553 Lab: 416-581-7555 Fax: 416-581-7555
email: chakrab at uhnres.utoronto.ca