[RASMB] AUC with RNA

Cole, James james.cole at uconn.edu
Thu Dec 21 07:42:00 PST 2006

Dear Dror:
We have successfully used the RNAseZAP product from Ambion mentioned by
Virgil to clean centerpieces and windows to study RNAs and RNA-protein
complexes by AUC. In some cases, when you add proteins they contain
trace RNase contamination that can hydrolyze RNA. In these cases it can
be useful to include  trace amounts of an RNase inhibitor protein. This
stuff is sold by Ambion, Epicentre or Promega. Another thing to think
about is checking your annealling conditions. Hairpins are very prone to
form dimers. Depending on what you are planning to do, you may also need
to experimentally measure the extinction and v-bar of your RNA.
Good luck,

Jim Cole