[RASMB] AUC Upgrade

pjvoelker at beckman.com pjvoelker at beckman.com
Tue Nov 14 13:43:42 PST 2006

Hello All,

This notice is to inform you that Beckman Coulter is aware of the cell data
reporting issue and has been investigating the situation in order to provide the
AUC community with a more accurate response and developing a fix to correct it.
The cell data reporting issue affects ProteomeLab XL-I's using interference
optics shipped after January 2006. On occasion and under specific conditions,
data collected in one cell hole is reported in the adjacent cell hole.

The issue centers on the communication between the GUI (graphical user
interface) and the DAB (data acquisition board). For reasons under
investigation,  the GUI occasionally moves ahead to the next cell before the DAB
moves ahead to the next cell. Communication between the GUI and DAB become out
of sync by one cell hole and the data is reported in the adjacent cell for the
remainder of the run, i.e., when using the 4-hole rotor, cell 1 data is reported
in cell 2, cell 2 data is reported in cell 3 and cell 3 data is reported in cell
1.

Although shown to be repeatable, the cell data reporting issue occurs only under
specific conditions (below). By avoiding these conditions, the situation is not
observed.

The cell data reporting error has been observed under the following conditions;
   Interference Velocity protocol calling for > 700 scans
   4-hole An 60 Ti & 8-hole An 50 Ti rotors  run with method protocol that scans
   3 or 7 all cell positions
   GUI ver. 5.5 and DAB ver. 4.19 software / firmware
   Speeds up to 60,000 rpm

To mitigate the cell data reporting error, please take the following steps
   Set Interference Velocity protocols for scans < 500 (typical velocity scan
   average < 400 scans for a 3 hour run)
   Scan 4 cells in a method protocol for the 4- hole An 60 Ti rotor when 3 or
   less cells need to be scanned
   Scan 8 cells in a method protocol for the 8-hole An 50 Ti rotor when 7 or
   less cells need to be scanned

Beckman Coulter is actively pursuing a fix to the cell data reporting condition.
We are currently validating a possible fix to the situation. I will send out an
announcement when we have completed test validation and have fully resolved the
situation.

To help me better understand how the instrument is performing in your
applications as well as your likes and dislikes with the product, please feel
free to contact me directly via email or phone on any XL-A/XL-I related issues.

Paul Voelker
Business Manager, XL-A/XL-I
Beckman Coulter

650 / 859-1814

The server made the following annotations
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.