[RASMB] The Windows 95 problem

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Nov 14 08:39:20 PST 2006

Just to clarify things a bit, the issues of operating system upgrades and
computer upgrades are somewhat distinct. Definitely the XL-I is very fussy
about both the computer hardware and OS, the XL-A much less so.

The problems recently described where installing a newer generic computer
(not purchased from Beckman) is causing the data acquisition to
intermittently terminate are well known and I'm afraid that is going to be
the price you pay for attempting to use any computer not qualified by
Beckman. But that is a separate issue from the OS issues.

Those currently stuck with Windows 95, both XL-A and XL-I, should be able to
upgrade the OS on their current computer to Windows 98 without problems, and
this will improve the networking situation (but may not satisfy the IT
department). That should also get you the ability to use USB ports (with Win
98 second edition), which opens up many more options for transferring and
backing up data.

I suspect for XL-As the old 16-bit (Win 95) versions of the data acquisition
software (the GUI) will run correctly under Windows 2000, and might even run
okay under XP if you are willing to spend some time playing with the
Compatibility mode settings. XL-A users would also have the option of buying
just a new computer from Beckman, which won't be cheap but much less than
with a camera and frame grabber board too.

John