WG: [RASMB] AUC Upgrade

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Tue Nov 14 07:08:16 PST 2006

Hi Wendel,

we also that intermittently the problem on our newest XL-I that individual
outlier scans seem to have been saved with the wrong extension (wrong cell
number).  However, I was under the impression that it had been fixed
quickly (i.e. within a few months), and we don't seem to have that problem
anymore.  All of that was one or two years ago.

During the time when it did occur, things were not as bad for us as it
sounds, since each of the interference cells has its own 'fingerprint' with
the time-invariant noise.  (The problem did not occur with the absorbance
cells.)  Due to the characteristic noise, the few scans that were saved
incorrectly could be easily flagged out once a preliminary fit was done,
since the rmsd of that particular scan was clearly an outlier due to
different TI noise offset.  There is a function into SEDFIT for recognizing
and excluding the worst scan, which was included just this purpose.  Note
that this approach works only for samples where you can get a fit with rmsd
< 0.01, which is usually the case for the fairly dilute protein systems (<
1 mg/ml) we study.  It would probably not work if you have high loading
concentrations such that the TI signal is masked by residual systematic
deviations in the fit.

Best,
Peter