[RASMB] The Windows 95 problem

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 06:34:27 PST 2006

Arthur Rowe wrote:
> Greetings, everyone

> Might it be possible however - the idea has just occurred to me - to buy a
> modern PC and run VirtualPC on it? It is not quick, running software under
> emulation, but the needs of the XL-I software are surely not exotic. No
> problems running Win95 when you have VPC. Or is this just an idea too far?
> If it is, then does anyone have a way of keeping a Win95 platform going in
> 2006, please?
>
> Regards to everyone
>
> Arthur

Hello Arthur,

I haven't tried this, but I think the problem for the XL/*I* is that
the interface card for the camera only works directly with W95/98; there
would need to be a hardware driver written for the card to work
under a more modern operating system, which brings us back to the
original situation of needing an updated driver.

It is possible your suggestion might work for the XL/*A* ,as this relies
on serial (RS232) communication. I suppose the potential problem there
would be with any critical timing steps. I leave it for those more
familiar with the hardware issue to comment.

Best to all,

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Head of the Molecular
Technology Facility               *   Interactions Laboratory
PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk