[RASMB] The Windows 95 problem

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 06:24:26 PST 2006

Greetings, everyone

The recent issue brought up by Christine Wandrey concerning Beckman upgrades
for XL-I machines points up an important headache for everyone who is
'soldiering on' with a Windows 95 machine: whether from lack of resources
for buying the upgrade, or from lack of will to invest in a product which
has so little extra to offer.

Basically - keeping a Windows 95 platform going is a headache, for well
rehearsed reasons. We have problems ourselves - nothing is more infuriating
than losing a chunk of an important run because of 'blue screening'.
Replacing the computer is not the answer, as one is obliged to purchase an
old machine, to be able to run Win95 in native mode.

Might it be possible however - the idea has just occurred to me - to buy a
modern PC and run VirtualPC on it? It is not quick, running software under
emulation, but the needs of the XL-I software are surely not exotic. No
problems running Win95 when you have VPC. Or is this just an idea too far?
If it is, then does anyone have a way of keeping a Win95 platform going in
2006, please?

Regards to everyone

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe