[RASMB] triton removal

Ines Lehner lehner at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Oct 5 04:52:23 PDT 2006

Dear Emma,

Triton X and other detergents with low cmc values which cannot be
removed very well by dialysis and gelfiltration can be removed using
hydrophobic polystyrene beads. There are several suppliers eg BioRads
Biobeads. For optimal absorption capacity wash them in water before use
and degass the porous beads. I use 2 times 1h for detergent removal. As
a rough guide I would use dry biobeads with 30 times the weight of the
detergent that you want to remove.
For example: 1ml solution with 0.1% Triton, add for 1h 30mg biobeads
(shake), take off the solution and add to it another 30mg biobeads for
1h (shake).
There are several nice reviews on the subject by Rigaud in France.

Regards, Ines