[RASMB] frictional coefficient of rings?

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Mon Sep 11 06:48:44 PDT 2006

Hi Karl,
there is work on hydrodynamic friction of rigid rings and doughnuts by J.B.
Hubbard and J.F. Douglas, Phys. Rev. E 47 (1993) 2983 and references
therein.  We've used expressions derived from that work for the ideal case
of rigid planar rings formed from beads of equal diameter a, an
approximation which we found to be within 6% of an experimental model made
by rings from protein subunits (cryptophycin-induced tubulin rings) (Phys
Rev Lett 93 (2004) 098106).
Peter