[RASMB] frictional coefficient of rings?

Olwyn Byron o.byron at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 02:05:18 PDT 2006

Dear Karl,

In the paper to which you refer, the authors used
bead modelling extrapolated to the case of a
shell.  Stuart Allison has updated this work for
the case of a toroid, using boundary element
modelling (Allison, Macromolecules (1999) vol 32
pp 5304-12).  Although the software used by Dr
Allison for the computation of f is not freely
available, I am sure he would be happy to assist
(sallison at gsu.edu).

Alternatively you could construct a bead-shell
model for the toroid using the program MAKEPIXB,
written by José García de la Torre's group, and
then compute its frictional coefficient using
their program HYDROPIX
(http://leonardo.fcu.um.es/macromol/programs/hydropix/hydropix.htm).

My impression is that either approach will yield a satisfactory value for f.

Good luck and best wishes-
Olwyn Byron