[RASMB] XL-I laser wavelength, magnitude versus pixels per fringe and mag netic field(s)

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Wed Sep 6 10:25:58 PDT 2006

Hi all-
1- The original Toshiba laser used by Beckman had a nominal wavelength
of 672 nm. That laser had a habit of mode skipping during at the edges
of the pulse, leading to short periods where the wavelength could be
anywhere from 670-678 nm. The mode skipping resulted in no noticeable
degradation of the data (there are plenty of other sources of noise).
Over the years, Beckman may have changed laser vendors and used lasers
with slightly different wavelengths. I believe the wavelength that
appears in the data files is "hard coded" in the program and cannot be
changed. Its value may or may not match the laser, depending on the
relative age of your laser and the program. I would trust the number
stamped on the light source.
2- The kink is not significant, and you want to use the maximum. Slight
variations in the amplitude of the Fourier are a consequence of the
mismatch of the sine wave and the fringe pattern. The appearance of
kinks will also depend on the column of pixels chosen to determine the
pixels per fringe. Any blemish or problem with pixels (e.g. differences
in sensitivity) will cause wiggles in the curve (which is essentially a
power spectrum). The fewer the pixels in a column, the more sensitive
the analysis will be to flaws in individual pixels. The same is true for
determining the phase, which is used to calculate the fringe
displacement. David Yphantis and Jeff Lary showed that increasing the
number of pixels per column from 96 (Beckman's camera) to 1024 or 2048
results in a ~100-fold improvement in the precision of the fringe
displacements.
3- The magnetic field is negligible at the position of the cells. I
recall that David Yphantis and, I believe Walter Stafford, have
sedimented magnetic particles in the XLI without any problems.
Best wishes,
Tom