[RASMB] systematic differences

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Sep 5 11:45:39 PDT 2006

Jack, since I haven't seen any other responses to your message from last
week I will jump in and offer one theory.

You haven't said how you are filling these cells so reproducibly that you
can measure this correlation between meniscus position and cell number. You
also haven't said what type of centerpieces you are using, but I will guess
they are charcoal epon. Then if that correlation is correct it means the
channel volumes are different for different centerpieces (the same volume
gives a different column height). That I think can only be true if the
center rib is bowed, probably due to a leak at run speed (one channel empty,
the other full). That is, I think this whole exercise is telling you that at
least two of your centerpieces are damaged.

Also, regarding your "correction factor", how can you say which cell gives
the "right" sedimentation coefficient and which ones need correction?

John